First Pasture Price: £24.39
First published in 1998, The Working Horse Manual has established itself as the bible for heavy horse owners and enthusiasts. The second edition has been heavily revised, the most substantial new material being on working horses in forestry, training horses, transport and the law. Contains 260 photographs and line drawings.
The chapter headings are:
1. The modern draught horse in the UK: Shires, Clydesdale, Suffolk, Percheron, Ardennes, Comtois, lighter working types
2. Choosing and keeping a working horse
3. Veterinary care of the draught horse
4. Farriery for the working horse
5. Training for horsemen
6. Training your horse
7. Harness for the working horse
8. Working draught horses as singles and pairs
10. Horse drawn machinery and equipment
11. Multiple hitches
12. Working horses in forestry
13. Selecting a show horse
14. Preparing and showing heavy horses
15. Plaiting a heavy horse for showing
16. Road driving
17. Caring for horse drawn vehicles
18. Transport and the law
Appendices: horse ploughing rules, heavy horse obstacle driving rules, timber snigging course, rules for heavy horse cross country relay race and trials, guide notes for judging, addresses, glossary.
The manual has been collated and edited by Diana Zeuner, editor of Heavy Horse World.