First Pasture
  Home » Catalogue » NEW TITLES » My Account  |  View Basket  |  Checkout   
Categories
SALE - UP TO 60% OFF
DVD SET OFFERS
NEW TITLES
TRACTOR DVDs
FARM MACHINERY DVDs
HARVESTING DVDs
PLOUGHING DVDs
HEAVY HORSE DVDs
NOSTALGIA DVDs
SHEEP DVDs
CATTLE DVDs
GOAT DVDs
POULTRY DVDs
COUNTRYSIDE DVDs
RAILWAY DVDs
SHEEP BOOKS
CATTLE BOOKS
LAND & DIY BOOKS
COUNTRYSIDE BOOKS
RAILWAY BOOKS
NARROW GAUGE BOOKS
MODEL RAILWAY BOOKS
RARE RAILWAY BOOKS
COUNTRY GIFTS
2018 DIARIES
Title Search
 
To search keywords within the product descriptions use
Advanced Search
Authors
New Titles more
4 Egg Cup Pails (Cream)
4 Egg Cup Pails (Cream)
£6.99
Information
About Us
How to Order
Delivery Rates
FAQs
Refund Policy
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
Cookie Policy
Links
Mail Order Form
Railway Books Index
Site Map
Contact Us
Gloucester Midland Lines Part 1: North £30.00

Neil Parkhouse

Year:
2017
Format:
Hardback
Pages:
280

First Pasture Price:  £30.00         

Status: Available

In 1845, the Midland Railway, formed only a year earlier, outflanked and outbid the Great Western Railway for the purchase of the Birmingham & Gloucester and Bristol & Gloucester railways, who themselves had just agreed to amalgamate as the Birmingham & Bristol Railway.  As a result, the railway map of Gloucestershire was to have a Midland red spine, with an important and busy main line running through the county from Ashchurch in the north to Yate in the south and with numerous branches breaking off from it.  It also served to turn Gloucester in to one of the country’s great railway centres of the steam age, where the Midland had a separate station, goods yards, dock system and locomotive shed.

Part 1 begins in the north at Defford, just over the county boundary in Worcestershire, from where we head south to the magnificent architectural gem that was Ashchurch station.  Here, we alight to travel the two branches heading off east and west: eastwards, to the Midland station at Evesham, was part of a double-track line that formed a secondary route to Birmingham, via Redditch and Barnt Green, but which was in its final years in the pictures that show it here; meanwhile, that to the west had originally run to Malvern but had been cut back to terminate at Upton-on-Severn in 1952.  Back on the main line, the journey then is south through Cleeve, Cheltenham Lansdown and Churchdown, to reach the Midland station at Gloucester, renamed Eastgate by British Railways in 1951.  There is a visit to the locomotive sheds at Barnwood on the way and coverage of the Midland goods yard at Gloucester.

Neil Parkhouse presents an extensive collection of pictures, which are further illuminated with maps, tickets, WTT extracts and other ephemera of the period.

This product was added to our catalog on Friday 06 October, 2017.
Reviews
Basket more
0 items
Tell A Friend
 
Tell someone you know about this product.
Secure Shopping
secured by GeoTrust



  
  

Copyright © 2017 First Pasture
Site secured by GeoTrust. Sitemap